linux mention in hansard

Doug.Palmer at csiro.au Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Fri Nov 2 15:38:51 EST 2001

> From: Matthew Hawkins [mailto:matthew at topic.com.au]
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2001, Doug.Palmer at csiro.au wrote:
>
> > > Microsoft want everyone to think that - fortunately in
> > > Australia we have
> > > laws that stop them from enforcing that
> >
> > Which laws are these?
>
> Trade Practices Act (1974), for starters.

Care to be a little more specific? I'd be delighted to find out that this
was the case. But I've had experience with node-locked licenses and
such-like. Which suggests that either suitable wording can get around the
provisions or that there are a lot of companies working on the shady side of
the law.

> Mind you, that also contains things about liability for providing
> defective goods ;)

I have wondered why there hasn't been a class action suit in the US over
clearly shoddy software, such as Outlook's "Yoo hoo! Worm come and get me!"
feature.