linux mention in hansard

Ben.Westgarth at facs.gov.au Ben.Westgarth at facs.gov.au
Fri Nov 2 14:12:21 EST 2001

Not as far down the list as you would hope. Earlier this year Microsoft
successfully shut down a Melbourne based *charity* known as PCs for Kids. They
were busy fixing up old computers and passing them on to the less fortunates
among us. Each computer came fitted with a copy of Windows (95 I think - but it
may have even been 3.11).

Enter lawyers from Microsoft: Where are your licences boys?

Thankfully, Microsoft managed to put a stop to this charitable activity which
was clearly threatening to collapse the ir corporate empire and make a mockery
of the values which have brought our society to a point where the richest
company in the world considers it a worthwhile pursuit to stop a small
Australian charity from giving away a handful of *old* copies of windows in an
attempt to help out some kids stuck in poverty.

The last I heard about this (a couple of weeks ago), an arrest warrant had been
issued for the dude who started this charity (evil, evil man), for failing to
appear at court hearing. Good on him I say.

Cheers, Ben Westgarth

David Gibson <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au> on 02/11/2001 13:56:18