Samba- win98 - Home networking (slight return)

Everard Edwards EEDWARDS at rsbs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 1 09:43:26 EST 2001

Hi,
  I managed to get hold of NICs and a crossover cable, get them set up in my two machines and pretty much get things going.  I've got a problem with Samba (v 2.2.21 I think) shares though.  I have no problem mounting them under win 98, and can write to them but cannot see inside any directories nor can I delete a file (it's fine if I mount the share on localhost).  I assume this is to do with file permissions and their interaction with win98.  Looking at the log file when a file is opened it states: read yes write no.  Can anyone point me to the problem?  I've been editing smb.conf by hand to try adn learn my way around it but have attached the swat version as it removes all the comments etc.
  Secondly, I've a problem with printing from the win98 machine, although I think this is to do with cups.  The printed file joins the samba queue on the server no problem.  I think what is happening is that lpr-cups isn't responding to the -l (or -oraw) option. ie:
 lpr-cups -p %p %s works (can't remember whether it's -p or -P but it's right in the script)
 but: lpr-cups -p %p -oraw (or -l) %s does not. (the print command in the attached smb.conf was for testing only!).
  According to the man pages -oraw should work for lpr-cups.  Any ideas?  I tried defining the printer specifically but it didn't work - printer is Epson stylus colour 400.
  Thanks,
    Ev

Dr E.J. Edwards
Environmental Biology Group