Ethernet PCMCIA.....

Ernesto Silva silva at athenea.ort.edu.uy
Thu Nov 1 03:22:44 EST 2001

Hi people, how are u?

	I have a couple of questions about a pcmcia ethernet card.

	My boss gave me an IBM ThinkPad 600X for network monitoring  with
Win$garbage installed which I quickly removed so it runs SuSE7.2 now.

	Now, "the machine" doesn't have an ethernet card, so I must buy one. In my
country (Uruguay) there aren't too many options. Basically I found 2 card,
CNET CNF401 and 3Com 3CXFE574BT.

	I borrowed one CNET card from one of our providers to try it, but I couldn't
make it work, it has a RTL 8139 Chip, which is very common, but the pcmcia
subsistem hardly coud detect the card, and I could never get the module
loaded (8139 or 8139too).

	The question is: Is there someone on this list who had tried the 3Com card
with a 600X and SuSE 7.2 or any 2.4 kernel?
I had compiled kernels several times, so its no problem if I have to, but I
don't have the time to make all those tests and tries.

Thanks from the other side of the globe (if it has any side)......

Ernesto Silva.