Telstra ADSL questions (pppoe technical)

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 13 10:02:30 EST 2001

John Griffiths wrote:

> At 10:44 PM 12/12/01, Carl Wilson wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I was told by a Telstra tech that there is a 15% overhead associated with my
> >512Kbit bandwidth...which comes out at around 54.4 KB/sec.  I have managed
> >to get 55KB/sec at some rare sites, but no more.
> >
> >Carl Wilson
>
> on a single connection you'll be lucky to get more than that on ANY
> bandwidth,
> other bottlenecks across the net will get in the way.
>
> only with input and output from multiple sources would you be able to use more
> on he current internet.

Depends upon which part of the "current internet" you are referring to
(remember, it is a "net", not a "pipe"). I regularly see 400+kBytes/sec
(over 3.2Mbit/sec) on downloads from various U.S. sites here at work.
Part of that restriction is our 10Mbps link to the campus backbone.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.