Solved: Linux dies at 6am....

James Macnicol jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au
Fri Dec 7 08:32:07 EST 2001

	Thanks to everyone who replied, especially those who pointed
out that cron.daily is run around the time I noticed the machine died.
This was exactly what I needed.  I had a look at the things that
cron.daily did and noticed that some of them took a fair amount of
time, my guess was that there were some things there that were
traversing the entire filesystem; probably all filesystems.  It then
occured to me that I was mounting my W2K partition (read-only) and the
Linux NTFS driver is a piece of cr at p and that the reason the system
was locking up was a cron job that was going through the mouted
filesystem was enough to cause the NTFS driver to lock up the
kernel....  So I unmounted that filesystem before I left the machine
last night and it's still up this morning.  This isn't an acceptable
solution given I need access to the data on there but I should be able
to figure out pretty easily how to stop whatever cron job it is from
touching that partition.

James