Linux dies at 6am....

David Bell dbell at pcug.org.au
Thu Dec 6 13:24:57 EST 2001

I didn't read the original message of this thread and so don't know the
exact symptom, but I'll give my experience in case it is useful.

My machine at home would die under heavy disk load, either by hanging or
by corrupting the disk.  My disks tried to do DMA with interrupts turned
on, and this just doesn't work reliably on my hardware.  I used hdparm in
the statup script to disable both DMA and interrupts for the disks, and
now they are totally reliable (but slower, sniff).

BCNU,
-dbell-