Linux dies at 6am....

Stephen Gibson stg121 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 6 09:24:29 EST 2001

James,
       What system/motherboard are you running?

My AMD 1.4GHz MSI K7T266 Pro has the same problem, although I cannot
confirm the 6am crash time. Some 2.4.x kernels are worse than others,
the 2.4.16 kernel is particularly bad. However, the default
RH7.2 2.4.7-10 is fine.   In my particular, case this may
be something to do with the SouthBridge, which is not recognised
in the 2.4.7-10 kernel:

VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: Unknown VIA SouthBridge, contact Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech at suse.cz>

In the past I have been able to induce a crash by placing the HD under heavy
load.

I have experienced no problems with an AMD 1.2 GHz/Epox system or other
systems running 2.4.x kernels.

Steve.