Video capture cards for linux

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Dec 5 18:43:16 EST 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Bob Edwards wrote:

> Michael Still wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:
> >
> > > This is a sad example of where Linux is in the video field.  About
> > > three years ago I was using my ASUS TNT2 to capture video at
> > > somethingx720 on a Celeron 333.  Hardware encoded, software decoder
> > > supplied.  Roughly the same disk statistics (at 50% more picture) and I
> > > could (and did) use the computer normally while capturing. Naturally
> > > ASUS won't release the capture driver for Linux  :(
> >
> > Are there no cards with hardware encoding supported under Linux?
> >
> Well... now that you mention it, a not very helpful answer is a Philips
> or Sony TiVo - runs Linux and has hardware compression and decompression,
> storage and the works (and works with PAL - thanks to work done by Andrew
> Tridgell). Captures at 4 different resolutions/compression ratios! Etc. etc.

Well, yes. The concept here was that I could probably come up with a
"MeVo" for less than the cost of a TiVo, and without the problems on
having to ship the thing from the States.

My understanding of TiVo costs is:
	- $600 AU (or so) for the unit
	- $100 AU (or so) for shipping
	- perhaps some customs

If there is someone out there who has some spare suitcase capacity on one
of their trips to the US, then I would love you to buy me a TiVo in return
for the cost of purchase and a bottle of your choice.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)