Video capture cards for linux

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 4 23:49:01 EST 2001

Michael Still wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:
>
> > This is a sad example of where Linux is in the video field.  About
> > three years ago I was using my ASUS TNT2 to capture video at
> > somethingx720 on a Celeron 333.  Hardware encoded, software decoder
> > supplied.  Roughly the same disk statistics (at 50% more picture) and I
> > could (and did) use the computer normally while capturing. Naturally
> > ASUS won't release the capture driver for Linux  :(
>
> Are there no cards with hardware encoding supported under Linux?

Well... now that you mention it, a not very helpful answer is a Philips
or Sony TiVo - runs Linux and has hardware compression and decompression,
storage and the works (and works with PAL - thanks to work done by Andrew
Tridgell). Captures at 4 different resolutions/compression ratios! Etc. etc.

> I would really prefer the Linux route, as I would like to be able to start
> and stop recording in cron jobs and stuff like that...

TiVo makes that trivial - forget cron jobs!

> Mikal

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.