low speed downloads

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Dec 4 22:31:06 EST 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:15:20PM +1100, jim wrote:
> I have noticed ppp download with linux runs about at 1/4 speed compared to
> another OS on the same hardware. This is a known fact.

Never seen this before...

> I have tried "irqtune" which is a bit like reflexology or acupuncture, you
> can see it is happening but does it help?

Never used it, so I wouldn't know.

> Is it true that linux download is slower?

No. If that were true, people wouldn't be using it as much.

> a google search suggests irqtune does not work with linux 2.4 anyway.

Possibly.

> is there a solution?

I seem to remember that certain PPP options can cause strange conflicts in
certain hardware ISPs use. Try turning off compression in pppd. And the
header compression. It's also entirely possible that you need to send your
modem a special init strings, so if you copy the one from windows it may
help.

Unlikely as it may be, you should probably check your connect speed just to
make sure its right.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>