nutha SAMBA question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue Dec 4 19:26:28 EST 2001

Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

> U do not need to do smbpasswd, normal unix logins will work just fine.
> Make sure samba uses encrypted password tho.. :)

You should always use smbpasswd, and always run 'encrypt passwords =
yes' for maximum stability.  Running unencrypted requires client-side
hacks (for modern clients) and exposes a number of 'interesting' client
behaviours.

I always recommend 'encrypt passwords = yes', particularly as without
it, none of Samba's domain capablilties can be used.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net