Information on dropbear.id.au and id.au domain

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sun Dec 2 13:44:02 EST 2001

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Peter Foley wrote:

> Does anyone know of any other sites that are providing a similar service to
> dropbear.id.au and id.au domain?

Drake's already mentioned some of the pay-for services.

> off these sites namely Andrew and Peter, I decided to check out the web
> page.

Eyal posts from emu.id.au every now and then...

> Does anyone know of any other domains that provide a similar service? or
> information on how good the service is at dropbear.id.au?  Yes I know that I

Depends what you mean by "service" from dropbear.id.au. The only thing
they handle is domain name delegation. They've been very good at that for
me, at least.

There are two ways you can deal with dropbear.id.au. You can have the
adminstrator delegate you a simple MX record (which I do), or you can have
them delegate to name servers you nominate (which Andrew does). I will be
moving to the latter system some time soon, now I have a permanent-ish IP
address.

I have had to send a total of about three requests to the
adminstrator. Don't expect super-snappy responses, but all of mine were
carried out within a couple of days. Remember that it is a free service,
and the guy working the other end is a volunteer. I assume that so long as
someone is willing to volunteer to do the work, dropbear will be
around.

> Peter.

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\