Minimum Specs for Smoothwall

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sun Dec 2 11:58:09 EST 2001

On 2 Dec 2001, Damien Elmes wrote:

> > If its dedicated to only a single task, such as routing/nat, it won't
> > require a large amount of ram. Most routers e.g Cisco 2500's etc, only have

> ... and the operating system in firmware.
>
> not really a decent comparison there :-) but your gist was right - you
> don't need *that* much ram to do routing/nat.

Of course, smoothwall does a little more than than. Web-based
administration is one (guess what's usually swapped out :-) and IP
accounting sums (generating traffic graphs fcol!) is another. That sort of
thing requires memory.

> cheers!

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\