nyetworking in 2.4

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Fri Aug 31 01:13:29 EST 2001

Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 12:39:45AM +1000, Mark Hummel wrote:
>
> > The status at the moment is that network wise, everything appears to be
> > working. The annoying things is I don't understand why it wasn't before.
> > The only thing I have observed is that on the switch the "100" light,
> > was not on when it wasn't working. Of course, that just raises more
> > questions about why.
> >
> > It all appears to be reproducably working now (first go, too). I can only
> > think that some step was ommitted (or one inadvertantly added) on one of
> > the machines.
>
> This reminds me of a time where a network card refused to work with a hub
> until we plugged the card into another machine with a cross-over. I imagine
> there was some kind of protocol negotiation failing somewhere.
>
> I'd never seen that before, nor seen it since...

i thought i'd been experiencing something like this with my
bargin-basement 10/100 switch. one of the link lights would go off and
the only way to fix it would be to plug it in to another hub - then
things would work in the switch again.

turns out the back of the switch is just suffering from some dodgy
connections, and i guess i was inserting it back in with more force
than the initial jiggle i'd been trying.

cheers!

--
Damien Elmes
resolve at repose.cx