Help PLZ

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Aug 29 09:49:49 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:30:47PM +1000, Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > Well, apt-get -b will do that also, although I think it's more likely that
> > the proxy will have the .deb than the tarball.
>
> This was my point.  The original source tarball is identical on all
> platforms, however the srpm bundles it in a cpio archive, source .deb
> bundles it in an ar archive, and so on - and what gets downloaded is
> this archive.

Err, you are confused. These is no such thing as a "source .deb". When you
do an apt-get source it downloads two files, the "pristine" tarball and a
patch file.

Yes, the binary packages are ar archives, but the source definitly isn't.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/