which card is which (eth0 and eth1)

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Aug 28 22:34:41 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:09:31PM +1000, Damien Elmes wrote:
> steve, if no better solution is posted, ifconfig reports HW addresses,
> and so you could write a little script to do the various routing for
> each interface.

as pointed out to you already io and irq are resources assigned by the pci
stuff anyway so can not be relied upon for deciding which card is which
(especially when they are identical cards)

and yeah I had already considered the thing you just suggested but it is such
an ugly hack I would prefer to just rely on the fact it doesnt change when you
dont change the kernel.

an example of the change in pci scanning order messing up eth stuff was the
2.0 to 2.2 transition AFAIR the change in the scan order messed people up a
lot.

Finally you can get most stuff in linux through devfs (if you need it) with a
scheme that allows things to stay static and sensible, alas this is still not
true of eth devices (sensible mechanism for naming, however I dont think the
*bsd people do a better job so hey)

hmmm damn I hate typing at this desk, I need to get my computer desk froom
sydney down to here again, it will make using computers at home so much nicer
once more. (require a trip up with a trailer, ick)

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh