Help PLZ

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Tue Aug 28 21:42:13 EST 2001

Matthew Hawkins <matthew at topic.com.au> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > Well, apt-get -b will do that also, although I think it's more likely that
> > the proxy will have the .deb than the tarball.
>
> This was my point.  The original source tarball is identical on all
> platforms, however the srpm bundles it in a cpio archive, source .deb
> bundles it in an ar archive, and so on - and what gets downloaded is
> this archive.  I'm proposing that these should really just contain the
> platform-specific build bits, and the original source tarball get
> fetched separately.  This way every system can share the original source
> tarball hopefully cached in (eg Telstra's) proxy cache network.
> There should also be a method of specifying exactly where the original
> source tarball can be fetched from (FreeBSD ports does this) so you can
> point the build/upgrade/install process at for example a local
> mirror.

reflex$ apt-get source grun
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Need to get 119kB of source archives.
Get:1 ftp://ftp.wa.au.debian.org unstable/main grun 0.9.2-6 (dsc) [632B]
Get:2 ftp://ftp.wa.au.debian.org unstable/main grun 0.9.2-6 (tar) [114kB]
Get:3 ftp://ftp.wa.au.debian.org unstable/main grun 0.9.2-6 (diff) [4319B]
Fetched 119kB in 17s (6757B/s)
dpkg-source: extracting grun in grun-0.9.2

need i say no more :-)

> It's posting some pretty nice benchmarks as well recently.  At home
> (where Linux runs just fine thanks :)  I'm going to have a play with
> that and XFS and JFS, but first I've got to change it from lilo to grub,
> and I've been meaning to do that for a while... enough time to post to
> CLUG list, not enough time to actually run Linux at home ;)

i'd be interested on your findings if you're to sample the various
journalling systems out there.

cheers!

--
Damien Elmes