Help PLZ

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Aug 28 19:10:13 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 06:51:10PM +1000, Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> One thing I do
> like about FreeBSD's ports collection though is (if you install from
> source) you're downloading and installing the original source tarball.
> This gives a few benefits, first any proxy cache along the way can hold
> the original source tarball and save you time & money.

Well, apt-get -b will do that also, although I think it's more likely that
the proxy will have the .deb than the tarball.

> I think that's one thing that should be moved to Linux (and Debian lends
> itself quite easily to this) - distributions, rather, platforms, simply
> distribute enough metadata to have the specific application run on their
> platform - everything else comes from the original source tarball
> obtained seperately.  This saves lots of data wasteage when most changes
> really are platform-specific things, not upstream.

Well, debian can do this already, but most people just can't be bothered to
compile things themselves. I've tried compiling X myself a few times and I
really don't want to have to do that again...

> I also prefer to have
> the PC run a proper POSIX.1 friendly system without repeated kernel
> oopses, the only reason the PC I'm using now runs FreeBSD instead of
> Linux.

I havn't had the kernel oops on me in a very long time. What were you doing?

Also, how on earth does BSD get smaller binaries that linux? I mean, they
use the same toolchain (gcc) and the same executable format (ELF) so where
can there possibly be a difference?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/