nyetworking in 2.4

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 09:56:15 EST 2001

A couple of comments:
 1) are you sure that your switch has an IP address set that can be ping'd
	from any (switch) interface?
 2) about your point 2. (below), the first packet to be sent down the
	interface will be the ARP request (as evidenced in your tcpdump),
	not the ICMP request (ping) packet. This is if you don't have a
	static entry in your ARP table for your switch (unlikely).
 3) about your point 3. (below), if you are using a switch, then you no
	longer will be able to see all packets on the network - only
	broadcast packets. The switch filters all other packets to only
	the destination machine (that's why we use them).

Looks to me like your linux machine is set up correctly, but that your
switch is not configured for that IP address. What makes you think it is?
Can you ping the switch from any other machine?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.