nyetworking in 2.4

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Aug 26 18:39:58 EST 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 06:00:37PM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Mark Hummel wrote:
>
> > A question:
> > Does the order in which the routing table is set up matter?
>
> We have this situation where the gateway to 10.61.3.0/24 is different to the
> gateway to 10.61.0.0/16.  In this case the 10.61.3.0/24 route must appear
> first.

Actually, unless you do tricky thing involving the ip tools to manage the
whole table yourself, the kernel will always match the most specific route
first.

So host routes (/32) appear first, following by the network route in
increasing size.

So nothing tricky going on there.

> Could you post the output of the "ifconfig eth0", "netstat -arn" and "arp -a"
> commands?

Check that all the link lights are lighting up properly. Make sure that
ifconfig shows the right values and ARP should always be on for ethernet.

HTH,

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/