GPL'd XServer for Windows

Rasjid rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sat Aug 25 13:52:26 EST 2001

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> Brad Hards wrote:
> > For a non-cygwin version, consider looking at:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11/
>
> The package is not downloadable for some reason. Mmm.

I discovered the non-cygwin version in the process of putting up my
web-page (such as it is).
It is downloadable from the mirrors.  I got it from planetmirror.com
last night.

> I did try the cygwin package and it works. However, since my NT
> machine is only visible through VNC, running the Xserver inside it
> (back to my Linux ws) is a bit rich. But I can see myself using
> it elsewhere.

I have just tried the non-cygwin version out.  I can get it to connect
to my Linux XDM server using -broadcast, but not with -query (it says
host unknown, despite the fact I can ping the address), and if I try to
specify a fontserver the program crashes.

So I'll stick with the cygwin version for now, but consider moving it to
the non-cygwin version if these problems get fixed, and provided it can
still be run from a network drive without being 'installed'.

Rasjid.