GPL'd XServer for Windows

Sean Neakums sneakums at zork.net
Sat Aug 25 05:31:33 EST 2001

begin Tim Potter quotation:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 04:38:42AM +1000, Rasjid wrote:
>> It is a minimal install of Cygwin/XFree86 for Windows.  Only enough is
>> installed to make connecting to an XDM server and font server easy.
>
> XFree86 isn't GPL.  It's under a BSD license.  A neat idea though -
> the only good X servers for Windows are commercial ones.

There is nothing in the BSD license to prevent Rasjid from licensing
his modified version under the GPL.  However, I would question the
political wisdom of such as move, and further note that it would
prevent his changes from being incorporated into the main tree without
a license change.

--
 /////////////////  |                  | The spark of a pin
<sneakums at zork.net> |  (require 'gnu)  | dropping, falling feather-like.