General server problem

adrian adrian at snowy.net.au
Fri Aug 24 17:21:40 EST 2001

Please help!

Background:
Mandrake 7.2
setup as server
Compaq laptop Armada
Has been working like dream for 12+ months

Problem:
font server failed
postgres server failed

To get X windows to work I had to  hash out   FontPath   "unix/:-1"  in
/etc/X11/fs/XF86Config-4

attempting to run the X font server responds thus:

[root at snowy18 X11]# xfs
_FontTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_FontTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
xfs error: Cannot establish any listening sockets
Aborted (core dumped)

attempting to run postgres results in:

[root at snowy18 rc5.d]# ./S85postgresql start
Checking postgresql installation: looks good!
Starting postgresql service: failed.

The problem started 3 days ago when the screen froze and nothing from
the keyboard to get a response so the only course of action was to
remove power.

I suspect some files were corrupted, but which ones. Possibly some
lowlevel networking.

Some help is requested. Is there some actions that I can take that will
help identify the cause?

Adrian
--
Adrian Blake