USB - almost

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 24 15:40:53 EST 2001

Arthur Chan wrote:

> Hi VP's
> On rebooting, Mandrake actually recognises the zip250 device.
> dmesg shows this :
>
> Vendor : IOMEGA     Model : Zip 250   Rev.:32.G
> Type : Direct Access   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> SCISI device sdb: 489532 512byte hdwr sector (251MB)
> sdb: write protect is off
>    sdb:sdb4
> WARNING: USB Mass storage data integrity not assured.
> USB Mass storage device found at 2
> USB Mass storage support registered.
>
> However when I do "ls /mnt/zip250.0" it gives me an error message
> "ls: /mnt/zip250.0: Input/output error"
I think that your main problem is that you need to either:
a. mount it using the -t vfat option OR
b. format the disk (as ext2 or whatever) OR
c. use mtools.

I recommend the last, because it involves the least dicking with kernel and
disk.

Try adding the following line to /etc/mtools:
drive z: file="/dev/sdb4"

Shove disk in drive, and mdir z: should show you the contents of the disk.

For all the details, read the linux USB guide, linked off
http://www.linux-usb.org

NOTE: YOU HAVE TO USE A 2.4 KERNEL WITH USB MASS STORAGE.

Brad