What should we do with a drunken salesman?

Chanop Silpa-Anan chanop at syseng.anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 24 02:07:41 EST 2001

For once, I heard jeremy at itassist.net.au said

> > If you prefer to be on the edge, I suggest pointing your apt to
> > testing/unstable and pin your packages on testing (aka woody for now).
>
> Oh yes, that's where I am right now.  The trouble with testing (and more
> so with unstable) is that occaisionally a package will creep through
> that compiles fine but breaks part of the system.

Yes occasionally but that's the way people live on the bleeding edge
isn't it? :)

> There are some examples in the CLUG archives of people suddenly not
> being able to log in after an upgrade or similar.
I've got caught too, for that upgrade of libpam-modules (IIRC) ~ two/three
months ago.

> One particular testing release of X broke on my machine and I had a hell
> of a time convincing aptitude that I wanted to go backwards in versions.
I think plain apt is easier in this regards. Forcing package version with
apt-get install xlibs=4.0.3-4 is not so difficult. However, you have to
list all the corresponding packages too which takes a few
seconds/minutes to figure out.

xserver-xfree86_4.1.0-? is broken regarding suspend/resume on my laptop
(trident cyber9525dvd) going backward only xserver-xfree86_4.3.0-4 keeps
my laptop alive after resuming, otherwise ssh/serial console in and
shutdown X.

> Stable may seem wussy, but it's almost guaranteed to work.  And stable
> for debian is what, nearly two years old now?

Almost :) should be about two when new stable is released.

Chanop