What should we do with a drunken salesman?

Chanop Silpa-Anan chanop at syseng.anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 24 01:33:48 EST 2001

For once, I heard jeremy at itassist.net.au said

> On 23 Aug, Peter Enseleit wrote:
> >
> > I like Red Hat, but I'd like to know why so many people like Debian so much!
> > What am I missing out on? Inform me and I might convert!
>
> If you're serious, it's APT.  You just tell it the program you want to
> install, and it will try really hard to install it, and all necessary
> support files. None of this "missing library" stuff.  It will even visit
> multiple different web repositories to find them.
>
> On the downside, some programs are often a few releases behind Red Hat.

If you consider binaries built for stable, you are correct. Don't forget
apt-get source -b which will build binary for you. You can always point
your deb-src to unstable/testing.

With the recent (not really) introduction of apt 0.5 (0.5.4 ATM), you
can pin a distribution e.g. you may have deb points to potato/woody/sid
at the same time and still be able to get binary from one particular
version by default. Really cool isn't it.

If you prefer to be on the edge, I suggest pointing your apt to
testing/unstable and pin your packages on testing (aka woody for now).

Chanop