[SLUG] How far can you push rsync?

Andre Pang ozone at algorithm.com.au
Sun Aug 12 16:05:58 EST 2001

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 09:45:37AM +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> I have a need to cron sync selected partitions on two boxes over a
> network.  The problem is that the partitions are not a file system known
> to Linux, in fact they are Pick D3 file systems.
>
> Can rsync handle this or does it need to know about the file system?

rsync basically will need to know about the filesystem.  see my
other message for details on why rsync can't handle 'special
files' (including block devices) correctly.

if you want a really ugly hack and you have the disk space to do
it, the easiest way to get around the problem is to do something
like 'dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/tmp/rsync-me.bin' or 'cat /dev/hdb1 >
/tmp/rsync-me.bin', and rsync the rsync-me.bin file.

it's a rather unelegant solution, though (to put it mildly :).

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone at algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save