Roaring pengiun

Mark Hummel mhummel at pcug.org.au
Sat Aug 11 00:07:09 EST 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Mark Hummel wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > Are you seeing replies from the ADSL modem?
> No, I don't think I am.

The only "replies" are responses from the discovery packets.

The last packet has some text which says: "pppoe - System Call failed".
I'm thinking it is because it is attempting to communicate with the modem,
and failing.

> > None of that should be relevent. Can you ping the ADSL modem? I forget the
> > IP address, it should be in the archives

The archives seem to hint that the IP address of the modem is 10.x.x.x..
I tried pinging addresses in this range, but got nothing.

This is probably not relevant, but there is a line which goes:
/usr/sbin/pppd pty 'location of pppoe conf, etc'.

There seems to be a warning message, which mentioned about the "failure
to open ppp on the tty".. It then waits for the child process - the one
mentioned in the script. I figured it was for debugging output,
and not the interface.

Mark.