Question about codered worm

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Aug 7 16:06:17 EST 2001

Over the past 24 hours, our firewall here has blocked over 250,000
connection attempts to bogus IPs generated by this worm. (We're blocking
almost an entire class C here). That's about 40 per host per hour. Anyway,
what I was wondering was:

- Does seem abnormally high to anyone?

- In a sense we're paying for this traffic, so I was wondering if anyone
had had any luck trying to convince their upstream provider to block the
traffic.

- are we allowed to do smurf type attacks on offending machines to try to
disable thier IP stacks?

- from what I'm seeing, the general response from everyone is to ignore the
problem. Is this true or are people actually doing something?

I'm sorely tempted to simply disable all logging of the problem and ignoring
it.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/