CLUG notes (was Re: Last CLUG)

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Aug 1 21:03:22 EST 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, James Ring wrote:

> What was the name of the program where you can connect various sound
> components together to simulate the output of a particular setup?

SpiralSynth?

Here are the notes I took at the last CLUG. I must say I did _not_ do
either of the talks justice; I was a little preoccupied. Also, I couldn't
find the air-guitar glyph on my keyboard.

Basically, they were audio presentations. Now if I'd thought to take sound
samples....

Actually, that's an idea. Perhaps sampling the talks and putting them
online?
-------------------------------------
CLUG Thursday 25th July
- The Image was Perfected.
- Programming music: Martin Schwenke
 - stuff available on milton.net
 - he was recording stuff on 4-track tapes
  - various 4 track tape tricks
 - also playing with Amiga "mod-trackers"
  - cruddy GUI interface
  - decided to code a replacement - in Haskel
   - lots of people bugging him with bad ideas (GUI, C++ etc)
   - wanted to eliminate copying-and-pasting, a common operation in trackers
   - using a keyboard as a drum-machine (sorta)
  - Haskel:
   - functional language
 - HasChorus was written
  - [ kind of need to see the code to understand...  ]
  - includes things like randomisation (so it sounds more natural,
    less computery)
  - tried to use mergesort based on start-time of events
   - out of memeory
   - quicksort is worse
   - bubblesort worked....
    - bsort in haskel is kind of cool....
     - an almost-sorted list with a lazily evaluated language works quite well
 - MusicMix is nice.
  - mix waveforms together (not "DJ" style, vocal track, base track etc etc)

- some more music stuff (generated reptitive music): Simon Burton
 - GUI based...
  - Spiralsynth
   - use a small program to generate midi signals
    - randomly; cycles through beats
    - an evolver to modify what's generated
   - a listener creates waveforms in real time
    - lots of options, envelope modifications (ADSR and V)
    - set octave, shape etc
    - used the fulltick (fltk?) widgets, which are pretty impressive
   - different modular version of it (plugins etc)
    - makes it clearer that you're passing an input through a whole
     series of different filters to get weird and wonderful effects

--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\