Error while compiling nisplus on centos 5.3

upen upendra.gandhi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:05:58 GMT 2009

> I'd steal the config from the working system, especially since NIS+
> is reaching end-of-life at Sun.  The only pieces we use on Linux are
> keyserv, nis_cachemgr, pam_unix2 (that understands set_secrpc), and
> lookup_nisplus delivered with autofs.  Old (32-bit) versions of
> niscat, etc., work, however.
>
> I made only trivial changes to pam_unix2 (1.7) to compile on x86_64.  I
> do not know the history on pam_unix2, only that portions involving NIS+
> disappeared in more recent versions that I have.  Our Linux systems are
> debian-based.
>
> If you do manage to get nis-utils to compile, I'd be thrilled to hear
> details.
>
> --
> Darrel Hankerson

I really appreciate you replying to my emails with some valuable
inputs and your last email certainly filled me with confidance that
yes I can go ahead atleast with those binaries (from nis-utils source)
as a result of their source's successful compile

Went ahead with those binaries which you mentioned and created host,
netgroup, and credentials table entries on server for this host and
know what authentication worked. I did edit pam.d/login file as below,
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_unix2.so       set_secrpc
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required	/lib/security/pam_unix2.so
password   required	/lib/security/pam_unix2.so
session    required	/lib/security/pam_unix2.so

and centralized authentication worked, rest of the procedure was
followed from tldp.org nis+ client configuration document.

I also edited auto.master to get home directories working.

Everything works fine now. I haven't tried rebooting the client though :)

I hope my reply here helps some of those who will search on '*oogle*
for nis+ client config or nis-utils compile error,and not to forget,
actually you are the second person @aubern.edu  who has helped me
recently with my issues :)

Many thanks,
Take care,