Solaris NIS client...

dave t d_dave at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 21:29:43 GMT 2005

I'm having the same issues w/ my linux nis+ client and solaris nis+ server.
I currently have a ticket open w/ this issue and they can't see to figure
out whats wrong on the server side. Unfortunately I've never found a
resolution. I've even contacted several other members of this list who've
come across the same problem.

The nis+ client side setup on linux is straight forward if you dont use pam,
otherwise you'll need to compile and install pam-unix2. Bascially whats
happening is that my linux nis+ client is failing to authenticate w/ the
nis+ server. The request is never answered on the nis+ server port. You can
determine if you linux authenticates if after you perform a  keylogin -r as
root, you should be able to see the encrypted passwords when you do a
'niscat passwd.org_dir'.

I've rebuilt a test nis+ server using the tables (groups, passwd, shadow)
from the original nis+ server; ran the nisserver command, then nispopluate
using tables from the original server; then nisaddcred for the linux client.
I pointed the linux nis+ client to the new server and it worked just fine.
So I've narrowed it down to a server configuration error, but I'm not sure
how to fix it.

If I figure it out, I'll keep you in the loop.