passwd update problems

Maxwell Bottiger sleepylight at jive-turkey.net
Wed Oct 29 01:00:00 EST 2003

Hello,
	I have a linux client (soon to be many linux clients) connecting
to a Sun server through NIS+.  I think I have just about everything
working except for one curcial part, passwd.  I've been using my password
that was in the server's /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files for a while
now, but I'd like to be able to change it.  When I run passwd on my client
linux machine I get an error like this:

[mpbottig at host65-156 ~]$ passwd
Changing password for user mpbottig.
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

I never actually get prompted for my password, but my login works and so
do programs like niscat.

In my nsswitch.conf file I have the lines:
passwd:     files nisplus
shadow:     files nisplus
group:      files nisplus

Well, that's about all I can think to tell everyone right now.  Please let
me know what you think.

--

-Maxwell Bottiger

This thing is like a wolf