nis client unable to log in to nis server

francisk at auston.com francisk at auston.com
Thu Jun 26 19:58:28 EST 2003

Hi ! NIS user.
I need help. I have setup my nis server and client. My nis client is
unable to login to nis server. At nis client, the login screen appear,
when I type user jane and the passwd which created in nis server.
the login screen dissapear and then appear.

I created user francisk, jane, joe and tom in nis server. all of them
are in the student group. But I did not create a netgroup. Is netgroup
necessary ?

Appreciate if anybody can help and provide solution or suggestion.
The procedure of my setup is as follow :

At NIS SERVER
----------------------
1) Install redhat 8
2) login as root user
3) create a usergroup called student
/usr/sbin/groupadd student
4) create users and add users to the "student" group
#/ usr/sbin/adduser joe
#  passwd
add joe, jane and tom into student group
#  gpsswd - joe student
#  gpsswd - jane student
#  gpsswd - tom student

5) define nis domainname in network file
at /etc/init.d/network :
#set the nis domain name
domainname trident.com

5-1) create /etc/auto.home
franck amish:/export/home/&
jane amish:/export/home/&

5-2) update /etc/auto.master
/home yp:auto.home	--timeout=60

6) setup /etc/yp.conf
domain trident.com server amish

7) at /etc/hosts include nis ver ip address in hosts file.
192.168.xx.xx amish
ypserver amish

8) configure NIS client deamon
chkconfig ypbind on

9) modify /var/yp/Makefile

10) Define NIS client access in /var/yp/securenets

allow local host connection
host 127.0.0.1
host 192.168.76.x

allow client workstation to access
host 192.168.76.42
255.255.255.0		192.168.76.42

11) build nis map files
ypinit -m

12) start ypserv and ypbind
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypserv start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind start

13) I can see the hosts file but some hosts are duplicate when I do
"ypcat hosts"

14) check that I can match a map entry - ypmatch jane passwd
jane:$1$8TQfmb8G$o79.:502:503::/home/jane:/bin/bash

15) change nisplus to nis in all /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd: 	files nis
shadow:	files nis
group:		files nis

hosts:	files nis