customize user login access to specific directory how to ?

francisk at auston.com francisk at auston.com
Mon Jul 21 20:34:35 EST 2003

Hi ! NIS developer
I am using redhat 8 setup the nis server and client which now they
can talk to each others.

I am trying to work out "the user access to specific directory
based on his login name or login id." Not very strong in shell
script programming. hope anyone can assist.

In /home/amish/jane/.bash_profile how do I let user jane to access to
a specific directory only everytime when he login with his login name.

For example,
jane can access to his directory on any client machines in the
network. Their access right (to access the directory) is depend on
the user login name or UID. user_sales can only access to
marketing directory. whereas, User_casher can only access to
accouting directory.

I have setup the following in my nis server to make it available
to other clients to share.
etc/exports
/home/accounting
/home/marketing

How can I write a program at user's profile
(/home/amish/jane/.bsh_profile) to let user access
his directory when he login. I can not use fstab because fstab is
specific to the hostname. If user try to access to other computer
within the network then it won't be able to access his department or
specific directory.
I am new to linux programming, I am trying to pick up along
the way.

Appreciate if anyone can help.

Regards,
x2000koh