NIS+ linux box root getting root master ???

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 09:40:51 EST 2002

Basically, this is not a NIS+ issue, but an NFS/Unix (su) issue, where
NIS+ is possibly helping a bit.

As soon as your NFS server exports home directories to your NFS clients
(be they Linux, Solaris, Irix or whatever), then root on any of those
client machines can mount those users home directories from the server.
Remember, NFS stands for No File Security :-).

The suggestion of using Secure RPC/NFS is one solution, but won't work
with the Linux clients (last time I tried, anyway), and seriously
impacts performance.

Here at ANU in Australia, we use intermediate gateway machines between
the NFS servers and the Linux clients (where we want the students to be
able to log in as root). The gateways basically act as session-based
authentication checkers and check the UID/GIDs of every NFS request from
the clients to the server. This has been working well now for over 18
months. We can safely have our Linux lab machines mounting user home
directories from the NFS servers. But it is complex to set up and I
wouldn't recommend it for the average sys-admin.

In the meantime, I recommend revoking root access to all your users on
the Linux machines (you do this already for the Solaris clients, right?).

Disabling "su" may also work, but anyone with root access can easily put
it back in again (maybe even give it a different name to confuse someone
who is checking).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.