nisplus without compat mode doesn't work

Holger Hellmuth hellmuth at ira.uka.de
Thu Oct 31 05:40:13 EST 2002

Hi,
I have suse 8.1 nisplus running with a solaris8-server, runs without a problem.
Today I tried to get rid of the compat mode. First I deleted the '+' line in
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, then I edited nsswitch.conf, but here it invariably
failed. I tried every combination I could think of, but I couldn't su to a valid
user without the '+' lines in both files.

Does anyone here have a combination that works ?

The original setting (without the group setting which I kept at compat):
---------------------
passwd:     compat

passwd_compat: nisplus
---------------------