redhat 7.2 NIS+ client

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 06:41:16 EST 2002

"Kristen J. McFadden" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am completely new to NIS+ and have inherited a Solaris 8 NIS+ server.  We have some new Linux (redhat 7.2) boxes and we want to set them up as NIS+ clients to this server.  However, I'm not even sure where to begin.
>
> I read a post from back in December where the respondent suggested NOT to use the nis-utils-1.4 release -- instead to use 1.3, and I am wondering if people have been able to use the latest nis-utils-1.4.1 release and make it work.
>
> I downloaded and compiled nis-utils-1.4.1 on a test redhat 7.2 box.
> 1. What do I have to do on the Solaris server machine to make it work?
> 2. I don't think I need a pam-aware login.  I guess then I wouldn't have to compile the pam_unix stuff -- or is it a requirement for nisplus support?
> 3.  Any other pointers for how to set it up properly?
>
> Thanks,
> Kristen

I think that I may have been the respondent who suggested NOT using
nis-utils-1.4. We have been using nis-utils-1.4.1 with both RH7.2 and
RH7.3 all year with no problems at all.

On the solaris machine, run the nisclient command to create a credential
for your Linux client (need to have an entry in the hosts.org_dir map on
the server first for the IP address of the Linux client).

Once you have the nis-utils compiled and installed and the credential
set up on the server, set up the domainname, copy over a good copy
of /var/nis/NIS_COLDSTART from a Solaris client or elsewhere, run the
keyserv process and then run chkey -p to set up the /etc/.rootkey file.

Once those steps are complete, you should be able to run nisdefaults
and get a response that _doesn't_ include the string "(not authenticated)"
on the end of the first line.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.