redhat 7.2 NIS+ client

Kristen J. McFadden kjm31 at genome5.cpmc.columbia.edu
Tue Jun 25 01:35:37 EST 2002

Hi,

I am completely new to NIS+ and have inherited a Solaris 8 NIS+ server.  We have some new Linux (redhat 7.2) boxes and we want to set them up as NIS+ clients to this server.  However, I'm not even sure where to begin.

I read a post from back in December where the respondent suggested NOT to use the nis-utils-1.4 release -- instead to use 1.3, and I am wondering if people have been able to use the latest nis-utils-1.4.1 release and make it work.

I downloaded and compiled nis-utils-1.4.1 on a test redhat 7.2 box.
1. What do I have to do on the Solaris server machine to make it work?
2. I don't think I need a pam-aware login.  I guess then I wouldn't have to compile the pam_unix stuff -- or is it a requirement for nisplus support?
3.  Any other pointers for how to set it up properly?

Thanks,
Kristen