Clients keeping old data

John Aasen john.aasen at alcatel.no
Thu Jul 18 21:58:00 EST 2002

Thanks a lot for help with this problem. You pointed me in the right
direction!

My main problem was that neither nisping or nisbackup was running. The NIS+
replica server was stuck and kept spewing out "rpc.nisd: unable to fork
readonly listener process" to the syslog. ps showed that the rpc.nisd process
was 1.5G! Somehow the machine didn't crash but was usable, but no NIS+
updates from the master was accepted.

The /var/nis/trans.log was large and nislog | head -4 showed that over 600
entries were waiting to be commited to the database. Even more frightning was
that the master rpc.nisd process was increasing in size and that nislog showd
over 300 entries waiting to be commited. So the master would also stop
serving NIS+ if the situation was not solved.

I based my solution on the description in
http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/1999-05/msg00087.html.

I did a nisbackup on the server and nisrestore on the replica server and run
nisping in the order suggested in the SunSolve Infodoc article ID 21041:
General NIS+ Stabilization and Maintainence.

#nisping -C `domainname`.
#nisping -C groups_dir.`domainname`.
#nisping -C org_dir.`domainname`.

This sequence was also added to the crontab of the NIS+ master together with a
nisbackup command. These commands are run each night and will hopefully keep
the NIS+ server and replica in shape.

John Aasen			john.aasen at alcatel.no
Alcatel  Norway			Tel: +47 22 63 83 09
Norkrets - Electronics Design	Fax: +47 22 63 81 80