Connecting to an HP-UX server

David Nixon D.J.Nixon at csc.liv.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 03:28:14 EST 2002

Hello,
        I am trying to connect to an HP-UX NIS+ master server
from a RH 7.2 client. The server has host credentials for this
particular client. To configure the client I did:

1) # dommainame <MyDomain>
2) # nisinit -c -H <MySsvrname>

This last step successfully downloaded a cold start file.
However commands such as 'niscat' fail to connect to
the server: The same NIS error code is always returned:

NIS_NAMEUNREACHABLE

If I do those two steps on an HP client then, at that stage,
tables can be listed from the server. All these machines
are on the same sub-net though, as I understand it, that
isn't essential.
 I am working with nis-utils-1.4.1 and  pam-unix2-1.0
linked against glibc2.1. Has anyone got a working HP-UX/Linux
set-up?

Thanks in advance - DavidN.