Clients keeping old data

John Aasen john.aasen at alcatel.no
Thu Jul 4 19:32:37 EST 2002

Hello,

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 16:36, Richard Dawe wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Peter Bunclark wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Richard Dawe wrote:
> > > IIRC the Linux nis_cachemgr doesn't do any caching.
> > > This could explain why you see the change instantly
> > > on Linux, but not on Solaris.
> > >
> > > Maybe you could try invoking nis_cachemgr with
> > > the '-i' option [on Solaris]. See the man page
> > > nis_cachemgr(1M) for more information.
> >
> > ...which says. ``nis_cachemgr - NIS+ utility to  cache
> > location information
> >      about NIS+ servers''
> >
> > ie, nis_cachemgr doesn't cache table information,
> > rather it caches the whereabouts and stats of
> > the servers.
>
> Ack, yes, you're quite right. Sorry.
> nscd seems to have a similar '-i' option.
> But using that feels a bit hacky.

I have tried both nscd -i passwd, nscd -i user_attr and nis_cachemgr -i.
The nscd -i commands made a change for finger <user> which was updated
with the correct information, but login still used the wrong home directory or
shell.

Up to now the only  'solution' I have found that works is to reboot the
Solaris NIS+ clients if we need to get hold of the updated NIS+ information
on that machine. Some hours later the information is updated on the client,
so if we wait to the next day the client is in sync again, It really isn't
satisfactory.

We are also having problems with our replica server. It does not work as it
should. dmesg gives loads and loads of these messages:
Jul  4 11:17:05 stku53 nisd[122]: rpc.nisd: unable to fork readonly listener
process.
Jul  4 11:17:05 stku53 nisd[122]: check_updaters: Unable to fork readonly
process.

Also nisping gives a weird data. The date seems way off!
On a Linux box:
Pinging replicas serving directory "<domain>". :
Master server is "<Master>".
        Last update occurred at Sun Jan 28 20:40:33 2001
Replica server is "<Replica>".
        Last update seen was Sun Jan 28 20:40:33 2001

On a Solaris box I get:
Pinging replicas serving "<domain>" :
Master server is "<Master>".
        Last update occurred at Sun Jan 28 20:40:33 2001

Replica server is "<Replica>".
        Unavailable.

Have you seen anything like this. Do you know any workarounds.

I will try turning off the Replica server and see if it helps.

Regards,
John
---
John Aasen			john.aasen at alcatel.no
Alcatel  Norway			Tel: +47 22 63 83 09
Norkrets - Electronics Design	Fax: +47 22 63 81 80