Clients keeping old data

Richard Dawe Richard.Dawe at riverstonenet.com
Thu Jul 4 00:20:11 EST 2002

Hello.

John Aasen wrote:
> I am having trouble with our Solaris NIS+ clients. When
> changing an entry in a NIS+ table, the change is not
> reflected in the clients until some undefined
> time later. Our Linux clients do not show this behaviour.
>
> I have tried to start and stop nscd and also run nscd -i
> passwd. I have also tried to kill and restart nis_cachemgr
> without any help.

IIRC the Linux nis_cachemgr doesn't do any caching.
This could explain why you see the change instantly
on Linux, but not on Solaris.

> Does anyone know how I can force a NIS+ client to update the
> data according to the NIS+ host?

Maybe you could try invoking nis_cachemgr with
the '-i' option [on Solaris]. See the man page
nis_cachemgr(1M) for more information.

Regards,

Richard Dawe, Software Engineer, Riverstone Networks, UK
richard.dawe at riverstonenet.com, http://www.riverstonenet.com/