How make X runs on NIS+ linux box ?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 08:09:15 EST 2002

Mauricio Brigato wrote:

> I have Solaris 8 server (NIS+ root master) and
> clients with Red Hat 7.3 and 7.2.
> If I try to run X I get that message:
> "Can't authenticate to PAM"
> Then cut off the PAM, recompiled the X
> and the error message was gone away.
> But, I still can't run X.
>
> Anyone has any clue?
> Thanx in advance.

You definitely do not need to re-compile X on a RH7.2 or 7.3 (or any other
distro that I have played with, such as Debian etc.) in order to use it
with NIS+.

When does the "Can't authenticate to PAM" message appear? During XDM is
my guess.

Can you log in on a command line and then run "startx" to get an X session
going (preferably using your original RedHat supplied X server)?

Have you modified your /etc/pam.d/system-auth file as posted on this
list many times?

Here is my current one, just in case it might help:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix2.so set_secrpc
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok md5 shadow
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix2.so set_secrpc
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account     required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix2.so set_secrpc
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.