[linux-cifs-client] Multiple mounts on same mount points

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon May 31 09:55:48 MDT 2010

The existing MultiUserMount feature of cifs (this existing multiuser
support is more limited than what Jeff has proposed for the future)
required multiple mounts in order to pass unique credentials down for
each new uid.

Which local file systems allow multiple mounts to the same device on
same mount point?

I think for the future it would be reasonable to forbid it (e.g. for
smb2 experimental code) assuming we have Jeff's multiuser support (or
something similar) implemented.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman at suse.de> wrote:
> Wondering what could be the reason behind CIFS allowing multiple mounts
> on same mount points while other Network File systems (say NFS) does
> not.. For e.g.
>
>   mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/cifs
>   mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/cifs (also succeeds)
>
> where one would expect an -EBUSY error during the second attempt.
>
> Though I do not see any major issues, this behavior could be confusing
> for users when they discover the mount is still present after umount
> (because they mounted it twice unknowingly) or when they see multiple
> mounts on same mount points.
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Suresh Jayaraman