[linux-cifs-client] migrating linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org to linux-cifs at vger.kernel.org

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Mon May 17 11:12:26 MDT 2010

A few months ago we discussed moving the linux-cifs-client list to
linux-cifs at vger.kernel.org. The main reason to do this is that the
linux-cifs list will be open for non-subscribers to post, whereas the
existing list isn't. That's quite problematic for people who wish to cc
the list when sending patches.

The new linux-cifs list already exists, but is currently unused. Here's
a first pass at a plan to migrate to the new list:

1) have the typical community archives and patchwork servers begin
archiving the new list. Right off the top of my head is:

archives (any that I'm missing?):
---------------------------------
marc.info
markmail.org

patchwork:
----------
patchwork.kernel.org
patchwork.ozlabs.org

...can anyone else think of others that should be notified of the
change?

We'll also need to change mailto links on websites, Linux MAINTAINERS
file, etc...

2) subscribe linux-cifs at vger.kernel.org to the old list. This is an
interim step to make sure that posts to the old list don't get dropped.

3) get a list of subscribers for linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org and
do a mass-mailing to notify them to subscribe to the new list and
unsubscribe from the old (John has said that he could help with this).

4) after a month or so, unsubscribe anyone left on the old list and
start bouncing emails sent to it.

Am I missing anything? If not, I'll work on hashing out some firm dates
for all of this to happen.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>