[linux-cifs-client] About permissions.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Sat May 15 14:35:42 MDT 2010

Hello,

I just found out that on my system another user than the username in
the credentialsfile
is not honoured over a cifs mount.

I just tried to change the permissions to root as root, in a cifs share mounted
with a credentials file with username=sbon.

I've read the mount.cifs manpage:

Because CIFS mounts are generally single-user, and the same
credentials are used no matter what user accesses the mount, newly
created files and directories will
generally be given ownership corresponding to whatever credentials
were used to mount the share.

I thought that this hasn't been so. I'm not sure, but I can remember
these mounts do honour the userid
of the user accessing the mount.
Am I wrong here?

Stef