[linux-cifs-client] Cannot mount Windows 7 share with CIFS Error 112 Host is down

Yanko Sheiretov iancshay at comcast.net
Mon May 3 15:15:11 MDT 2010

I apologize for the double post to those of you who are also
on the main list. I just realized that this is the better
list to post this.

I just got a new Windows 7 Home Edition computer and am
unable to mount its shares on my Linux system.
I'm running Fedora 11, samba 3.4.7
I have no trouble mounting shares from XP systems on the
network using the mount command below.
I can access the Windows 7 share with no problems using
smbclient on Linux.
The Windows 7 share is accessible from the XP systems.

Here is the mount command:
mount.cifs //pirin/c /mnt -o
user=yanko,uid=500,gid=100,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777,noperm,iocharset=utf8,directio,ip=192.168.1.12

Password:
mount error(112): Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The dmesg log has:

CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 1
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112

I've been told that this means that the client sent an
SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE request and the server never responded.

I have not found any errors logged in Windows 7 but perhaps
I don't know where to look.
I can access the Windows 7 share with no problems using
smbclient on Linux.

The client is a Fedora 11 system
Kernel version 2.6.30.10 release 105.2.23.fc11
mount.cifs and smbclient are in the samba-client package
version 3.4.7 release 0.50.fc11
smbclient works; mount.cifs does not.
The share is on a Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit system

Any ideas will be very much appreciated.

Yanko