[linux-cifs-client] setuids mount option not working?

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Thu Mar 11 11:48:24 MST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:16:53 +0100
Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> from reading the manpage, I got the impression that when I do
> a cifs mount as root to a samba server with unix extensions
> enabled, then specifying the setuids mount option would result
> files/directories being created with the uid/gid of the
> accessing user instead of as root.

Well, no. IIRC, what happens is that the client creates the file as
root and then does a posix SET_PATH_INFO call that sets owner, mode,
etc.

> This does not seem to work for me. I have tested kernels 2.6.31
> on my ubuntu box and a uml setup with a kernel 2.6.32 git
> checkout.
>
> I mount the share like this:
> "mount -t cifs //host/share /mnt -o user=root,password=secret,setuids"
>
> The server ist just a current samba configured as standalone
> server, serving the share from a world-writeable folder.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

Sounds like something is broken. Needless to say, we don't really
recommend that anyone mount with root creds, so it's not a use case
that gets a lot of testing.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>